Friday 13 July 2012

Black Opal Nails with Andrea Fulerton Gemstone Overcoat

Andrea Fulerton Gemstone Overcoat
Another post kicking off a long term challenge for me. I love opals and fire opals especially and I've always wanted to recreate the look of them on the nail. The ones I particularly love are the Black Fire Opals or Harlequin Opals - the ones that are a beautiful deep blue with intense flashes of colour running through them. I've had a bottle of Andrea Fulerton Gemstone Overcoat for ages that I picked up in Superdrug but it was only when I started looking for shades in my stash to create the look I wanted that I revisited it. It's a stunning duochrome flakie topcoat with a really strong shift from red through to green.

There seem to have been a lot of polishes released like this over the last few years including Nubar 2010, Sally Hansen Hidden Treasure and Essie Shine of the Times. None of them seem to be completely unique but they are very, very pretty and Andrea Fulerton's Gemstone Overcoat is no exception. 

This swatch was done over Nars Night Flight, a very dark sparkly blue and I think Gemstone Overcoat looks best over darker colours like this. You could wear it on its own but it's pretty sheer so you need numerous coats before it would even be close to opaque. The formula is on the thicker side so one coat will give you a good scattered layer of flakes. This is two coats with one coat of Essie Matte about You over the top so you can see the colour shift more clearly. 

This isn't quite the look I want for the finished Opal nail as the blue is a bit dark. I'm thinking a jelly sandwich with a royal blue jelly might be more what I'm looking for, any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment